Police Department Recruitment Process
- Candidate must be between the ages of 20 and 31 years of age upon appointment
- Must be a citizen of the United States
- Height must be proportionate to weight
- Must have an unrestricted valid driver's license in the State of RI upon appointment
- Must have a minimum of 60 college credit hours or two consecutive years of honorable active duty military service
- Vision must be not less than 20/30 (correctable) to 20/20 and must be able to distinguish colors
- The candidate must complete a signed Application of Employment.
- Candidate must pass physical agility test administered by the department to progress to written phase.
- Candidate shall be required to pay a fee for the written examination administered by the Police Department.
- Candidates who move on to the final phase of testing (detective background check) will be required to submit appropriate waivers of any confidential information for investigation by the Narragansett Detective Unit as to his background and eligibility to be appointed to the department.
- Prior to appointment the successful candidate(s) shall be required to submit to and pass a physical examination by the police surgeon and a psychological examination as defined by state statute law. The physical examination will be graded as: recommended for appointment or not recommended for appointment. The psychological evaluation will be graded below, average, or above average.
Interviews by Oral Board
Successful candidates, based on the testing scores curve, who passed the written examination and the physical agility test shall be subjected to a three-person oral board. The oral board will consist of officers from other Rhode Island police departments.
Ranking and list of eligible candidates
A list of eligible candidates will be prepared and maintained by the Police Department. Ranking on the list shall be determined in the following manner:
- Written examination maximum score of 700 points 70%
- Oral Examination maximum score of 300 points 30%
- Physical Fitness Test pass/fail
- Background investigation pass/fail
- Personal interview by chief of police, executive officer, and human resources manager - pass / fail
A maximum of 1,000 points will be awarded to establish the final list which will be computed down to a percentage of thousands of a percent.
Candidates graded 'not recommended' based upon physical examination and 'below average' based upon psychological examination will not be considered for appointment and will be removed from the final list for appointment.
Currently, the Narragansett Police Department maintains an active hiring list of potential candidates from a previous testing process.